This report (published in 2015) looks at some of the characteristics of registered nurses working in adult social care.
- There are an estimated 51,400 registered nurses working in adult social care, 87% are female.
- Turnover for registered nurses in adult social care is higher than for other professions represented in the sector. A turnover rate of 32.1% means around 16,500 leaving their post each year. This is one of the highest in adult social care.
- Over 72% of nurses working in adult social care are aged 40 or over, while 44% are aged 50 or over.
- Annual pay rates for nurses working in adult social care (£24,350) are in line with those paid in the NHS Band 5 rate which starts at around £21,000 and goes up to just below £28,000.
- 85% work in residential services. 97% of those are CQC registered care homes with nursing.
- 85% of registered nurses are employed within the independent sector.
We also published a briefing about registered nurses in June 2013.
This report (published in 2016) looks into the trends and numbers of students enrolling on social work higher education courses in England. The report also includes graduating students who secure employment in the sector. Key findings include:
- There were around 4,600 students enrolled onto social work education courses in England in 2013/2014.
- 37% of students enrolled onto social work education courses were aged under 24.
- Around 1 in 5 students enrolled on a social work course were from the North West of England.
- Almost 5,000 students finished social work education courses and approx 94%. achieved a qualification and were eligible to register as social workers.
If you’re interested in accessing information about the social care workforce and sector then visit the open access dashboards.
Find out how to use them by watching our guide.
Our analysis team are experts in social care workforce data. They've been working with data sources including the NMDS-SC for over 8 years. This experience means they can help you investigate, analyse and discover information to help you identify or solve a specific issue.
Paid for services
Our data services can be used when you need:
- Evidence to help you make an important decision or develop a strategy
- Information/analysis and a report that’s more in-depth and tailored to your needs
- Trend information or help looking ahead with forecasts
- Help planning for the future
- Information for a bid
- Help to analyse data you already have but aren’t sure how to make the most of it
Contact email@example.com or call 0113 2410969 for more information.
To receive a quarterly email which contains the latest published information and workforce intelligence reports, simply register with us and select "workforce intelligence" under areas of interest.