GSCC codes of practice
Following the closure of the General Social Care Council (GSCC), Skills for Care will house the code of practice until a new joint code of conduct and minimum training standards for health care support workers and adult social care workers in England is agreed.
You can get copies of the codes of practice in several different ways and formats.
The codes will also be of interest to people who use services and the general public. Please feel free to make multiple photocopies of any of the alternative formats.
- Codes of practice for social care workers
- Codes of practice for employers of social care workers
- Codes of practice (word version)
Makaton is a language programme devised for children and adults with a variety of communication and learning disabilities. The Makaton version of the codes of practice consists of two documents; a symbols document and a signs document. The symbol document contains Makaton symbols. The sign document contains drawings of signs and is for facilitators, to help the user's understanding of the symbol document. These documents should be used together.
- Download a copy of the Makaton version of the codes of practice symbol document here
- Download a copy of the Makaton version of the codes of practice sign document here
The audio versions of the codes of practice are available here as an mp3 format. This can either be opened straight away with playback through the default audio player or downloaded and used on any mp3 enabled device.
- Download the code of practice for social care workers
- Download the code of practice for employers of social care workers
Alternative languages (PDF format)