Building 'friendships' in local communities this Care Home Open Day
We’re supporting Care Home Open Day (16 June) again this year to encourage care homes to open their doors and build ‘friendships’ in their local community.
We know care homes do great work all year round, and this is one day where you can showcase this in their local communities.
This year’s theme is ‘friendship’ and is partnered with The Big Lunch, the UK’s annual get together for neighbours.
Care homes can celebrate and build new friendships by organising a ‘Big Lunch’ and invite people from their local communities to join them.
It’s a great way to build relationships with your local community and encourage people who access care and support to engage with new people. It’s also a great opportunity to advertise your care home to potential customers and showcase your organisation as a great place to work.
If you haven’t already, joining I Care…Ambassadors is a great way to build sustainable links with your local community.
Employers sign up to I Care…Ambassadors and nominate enthusiastic staff to become ambassadors. These ambassadors deliver careers activities such as talks, presentations and activities to promote careers in social care; some employers might also offer work placements or visits. It’s a great way to boost your profile with local schools, colleges, Jobcentre Plus and other community groups, as well as developing your existing staff and improving their motivation.
Join I Care...Ambassadors and you could offer workplace visits or other activities as part of your Care Home Open Day activity. You'll also get access to an exclusive resource bank of practical guidance and templates to help you deliver meaningful and effective activities to promote careers in social care.
Curado have been part of I Care…Ambassadors for just over two years and have seen lots of benefits. Yvonne Obuaya, Managing Director, told us
“It has promoted the business and given us connections with networks outside of our daily activity.”
To get involved:
- Decide if you’d like to organise a ‘Big Lunch’ or if you’d like to do another event or activity, such as an afternoon tea, sports day or offer visits to your workplace.
- Register your event on the Care Home Open Day website. This lets people know you are getting involved.
- Sign up to I Care...Ambassadors and nominate enthusiastic staff to be ambassadors; they can be a great advert for your organisation on Care Home Open Day and you can access online resources to help them develop their skills and knowledge before the big day.
- Promote National Care Home Open Day in your local community. There are template flyers and leaflets available here.
- Make sure you let everyone know what you are doing – social media is a great tool to use. When tweeting copy in @CareHomeOpenDay and use #CHOD2017 or #carehomeopenday
- Let us know how it went using @Skillsforcare or @CareHomeOpenDay. If you have a particular success story, email us firstname.lastname@example.org
Other useful resources:
Finding and keeping workers is an online hub that provides practical advice and resources to help you attract, recruit, develop and keep workers with the right values and behaviours.
Think Care Careers is our designated website to promote careers in social care. It explores the different jobs, explains how you can get into the sector and provides case studies for you to hear from people who already work in social care.