Assessed and supported year in employment funding

Lady with short hair and glasses smiling

Receive funding to support your newly qualified social workers

Skills for Care is pleased to announce that an initial stage of funding for the ASYE Grant has been agreed with the Department for Health and Social Care (DHSC), with a second stage to be allocated later in the year. Therefore, the ASYE portal opened on Monday 27 July so that employers can begin to register newly qualified social workers.

It is anticipated that the level of funding for supporting the ASYE will be similar to the financial year 2019-20. We apologise in advance for the uncertainty, but the pandemic has meant that we had to adapt our usual process. We're working with DHSC to confirm the exact level of funding available and we will communicate this at the second stage.  

Key dates for the 2020-21 funding process, for NQSWs starting their ASYE from 1 February 2020, are currently as follows:

  • For new small private and voluntary employers, and local authorities/NHS/community interest companies/social enterprise employers who have not claimed funding in the last three years, the deadline for receipt of online pre-registration applications is Friday 8 January 2021. Please note the changes to the pre-registration process set out below.
  • The online portal is open for employers to register their 2020-21 newly qualified social workers (NQSWs) until 23:59 Sunday 31 January 2021*. If you have NQSWs in post and starting their ASYE, you can start claiming now. Please be reminded that you will not receive your milestone 1 payment until you have registered at least one NQSW, completed all other sections of the online form and you have officially submitted the application. You can add further NQSWs after an application has been submitted.

*Please note that 31 January 2021 is a Sunday, so Skills for Care colleagues will be able to offer support to employers making applications up until 17:00 on the last working day of that month, which will be Friday 29 January 2021.

⇨ Guidance for using the portal is available here, alternatively, the video below also shows you how to use the portal.



DHSC has allocated a fixed budget to support NQSWs through their ASYE subject to confirmation as mentioned above. Funding will be allocated based on the NQSWs starting the ASYE between 1 February 2020 and 31 January 2021. In order to ensure fairness, we’ll disburse funds to employers using a funding formula that is based on the principles outlined below:

  1. No employer should receive less than £1,000 per NQSW
  2. No local authority or NHS employer should receive more than £2,000 per NQSW
  3. No voluntary or private employer (small organisations) should receive more than £2,500 per NQSW

The full amount of funding an employer will receive will be paid in two instalments.

The first payment will be £800 per NQSW. This will be allocated at the first milestone.

The remaining amount payable will be calculated using the funding formula and will be based on the number of social workers employed and the actual number of NQSWs registered for ASYE. This will be allocated at the second milestone. Please note, we will be required to recoup excess funding at milestone two in the event of employers recruiting fewer NQSWs than estimated and an over payment therefore having been made at milestone one. 


There are four steps in the process:

In light of the pressures on all employers due to COVID-19, we reviewed the pre-registration process to make it as easy as possible for employers to draw on the funding. The below information offers further details of our plans:

For those employers who have claimed the adults ASYE funding in previous years, we will use an average of available data of your actual NQSW registrations over the last three years (2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20) to estimate your number of NQSWs and calculate your milestone 1 payment, which means that you will not need to complete a pre-registration form this year. We will also use your most recent Memorandum of Collaboration as proof of your membership of an External Moderation Partnership.

New employers, or employers who have not registered for funding in the last three years, will be required to complete an online pre-registration form and provide evidence of their membership of an external moderation partnership when they submit. Guidance for completing the pre-registration form is available here.

The pre-registration application for new employers is a crucial element to the disbursal process in that it enables us to predict the likely demand of the available resources. The application form must be completed to be able to access the funding. This will require you to give us the following information:

  • the number of registered social workers you employ
  • the number of NQSWs you plan to recruit and register for ASYE between 1 February 2020 and 31 January 2021
  • at this stage we also require evidence of your membership of an external partnership

Please make your application as soon as you have employed an NQSW.

Receipt of pre-registration applications will be confirmed within two weeks of application, and the milestone one payment will be confirmed within two weeks following the deadline.

The registration portal ( will open at 09:00 on Monday 27 July 2020. NQSWs may be registered from this point. Employer guidance for using the portal will be available soon.

The process of registering further NQSWs should be undertaken as they come into post throughout the year.

Successful registration of your first NQSW or group of NQSWs and submitting your online portal application will trigger your grant letter. This will be sent to you by email from EchoSign. On receipt of your signed grant acceptance letter, the milestone one allocation will be paid subject to the funding confirmation mentioned above. NB: Where no electronic registration is made no funding will be paid.

This will take place in February 2021. The amount to be paid (subject to funding confirmation) will be based on the actual number of NQSWs registered with Skills for Care by 31 January 2021.


How do I claim an ASYE certificate?

Skills for Care is now issuing ASYE certificates to employers for newly qualified social workers (NQSWs) in adults services. The Skills for Care certificates will look slightly different to the previous certificates but the process for issuing the certificates will remain the same. 

In order to claim a certificate, employers will need to update the NQSW record on the portal with the date of completion of the ASYE. Guidance on how to update the portal is available. If you have any questions please email


If you have any questions about funding for NQSWs in adults services, please email