Registration, support and assessment

Man talking to young girl sat on the sofa

Register your social work graduates for the ASYE

We are working on behalf of the Department for Education to ensure you have all the information you need to support and assess your newly qualified social workers (NQSWs) working in a child and family setting.

This section includes information about how you can register, assess and support the NQSW. There is also information about ASYE certification.

The Department for Education gives employers of child and family social workers £2,000 for each newly qualified social worker they support through ASYE. You can access funding information here.

To meet the funding requirements your NQSW will need to have an initial assessment against the Knowledge and Skills for Social Workers for Child and Family social work (2014). This assessment will identify their learning needs for the year and will inform  the professional development plan.

If you who wish to register to provide the ASYE please email the social work reform team 

The Department for Education requires that you provide your NQSW with the following support, which is included in the Standards for Employers of Social Workers:

  • regular supervision
  • a training and development plan
  • opportunities and protected time to meet their training and development needs
  • regular reviews of progress leading to a final assessment.  

You can use record of support and progressive assessment or the learning agreement to record this information.

Issues and concerns

The record of support and progressive assessment or the learning agreement can also be used to record any concerns or issues.

If any concerns are raised about the capability of the NQSW, the ASYE assessor should speak with the ASYE co-ordinator and HR.

Any capability issues raised during the ASYE will need to be managed separately through performance management procedures.

In this case the Department for Education may ask to see these records.

What are the assessed requirements?

As of November 2014, your child and family social workers should only be assessed against the requirements of the Knowledge and Skills for child and family social work.

The Government response to the consultation on the statement of knowledge and skills for child and family social work makes it clear that the PCF is an overarching standards framework.

The knowledge and skills statement is specific to child and family social work.

Which method should we use to collect evidence?

The Department for Education does not have a preferred method for gathering ASYE evidence for child and family social workers.

This means you could use the current assessment process used for social workers in adult services that has been adapted for use in child and family social work

Who will assess the NQSW?

The ASYE assessor must be a registered social worker, and they should have the necessary experience for the role. The assessor will support, assess and record the progress of the NQSW over the year.

How will the final decision be made?

As the employer you will make the pass/fail decision at the end of the ASYE.

You must consider whether your NQSW has met the requirements of the Knowledge and Skills Statement, taking into account the recommendation of the assessor.

The assessor’s recommendation should be;

  • accurate - Consistent with the expectations of the Knowledge and Skills Statement (and the PCF ASYE capabilities if used). 
  • valid - Based on evidence that reflects the breadth of the NQSW’s work throughout the year and their progression. 
  • robust - Based on evidence that is checked and consistent and leads to a defensible judgement. 
  • sufficient - Based on a sufficiently broad and varied range of different types of evidence.  

Our guidance on the internal and external moderation process will help you to check the quality of the assessment decision.

The Department for Education may request random samples of your assessments at the beginning and end of the ASYE.

They will check the samples to make sure they meet the requirements of the knowledge and skills.

Employers should contact the DfE for ASYE certificates once candidates have successful completed their ASYE.

Contact for more information.