Keeping staff informed of news and developments and encouraging them to share ideas and concerns makes them feel valued, and boosts morale.
It’s important to have regular open and honest two-way communication through a range of channels to establish trust and form strong working relationships.
Giving and receiving feedback in a constructive and responsive way that’s aligned to company values goes a long way to making staff feel they are understood and appreciated.
Learn more about how to have open and constructive conversations at work in our 'Valuable conversations seminar'.
Appraisals and supervisions are an ideal opportunity to check your workplace values are understood, being upheld and are having a positive impact.
- Appraisals - designed to increase an employee’s performance and efficiency as well as increase motivation, ensure that people are kept updated with the latest developments and any skills needed to develop. Check in on how the team member is managing their objectives (often linked to workplace goals). Employee's performance expectatinos can also be discussed.
- Supervisions - An opportunity for exploring day-to-day practice, what's going well and what needs further development. It involves making time and developing a practical structure to provide this support.
- Guide: appraisals, supervisions and 121s.
- Performance Managment toolkit
- Find out more about effective supervisions
People performance management impacts on the quality of care that your service provides, and the way people feel about their job. It’s a key opprtunity to motivate, support and encourage hardworking staff.
Our registered manager networks provide the opportunity for managers to come together to share best practice and learn from each other. This helps them feel supported.
Pair up employees as buddies to offer peer support via a phone call check with someone each shift, helping them stay connected and feel safe.
Learn from others
See the different methods Warrington Community Living and Angel Human Resources used to check whether values are working and how staff uphold values in their everyday behaviour.