Employment advisor

Employment support imageYou’ll support people who need care and support to find and maintain employment.

Employment advisors can work in advice centres, for charities or in the community.

Your role might include:

  • talking to people about their abilities, interests and goals
  • assessing their skills and abilities
  • exploring learning and work opportunities for people
  • supporting people to overcome barriers to employment
  • helping people to find jobs
  • advising people about the support they can get to help them in their job, for example special equipment or travel
  • supporting people with their CV and applications
  • building relationships with local employers, colleges and training providers. 


Everyone working in social care needs English, number, digital and employability skills including team work and problem solving skills. What core skills do I need to work in social care outlines some of the skills you need and has short activities to help you think about transferable skills from your previous experiences.

There are also some specific skills needed to work in this role. These include:

  • good interpersonal skills
  • planning and organisational skills
  • English skills, especially reading and writing
  • research skills, including the ability to research online. 

You’ll usually need experience of working in social care and health or come from an employment support background, such as a HR officer or recruitment assistant. You could gain this experience through a work placement, from your personal life, through volunteering or as part of a traineeship or apprenticeship

If you’re applying for an entry level role such as an employment advisor admin or assistant, your employer might ask that you have qualifications showing good English and number skills such as GCSE A-C in English and maths.

For more experienced roles you might need a qualification or a degree in a relevant subject such as careers guidance or advocacy. 


If you’re interested in working as an employment advisor, there’s lots of advice about finding a role on the Starting your career page.

Employment advisors tend to be employed by private recruitment organisations, local authorities or charities. You could look on their websites to find vacancies or use an online job search. 


When you start in your role you should do an induction which includes training necessary for your role such as safeguarding adults.

When in your role you could do a vocational qualification that’s accredited by the Career Development Institute to improve your knowledge, for example a Qualification in Career Guidance or Level 4 Diploma in Career Information and Advice.

There are also lots of continuing professional development qualification or training to help you progress.

You could move into a specialist role, for example working with adults with learning disabilities, or progress in management roles.