The workforce employed by adult social services departments in England
Published 14 February 2024 (data correct as at September 2023)
Next update due: 12 February 2025
Contact: Will Fenton
This publication contains information on staff employed (directly and indirectly) by adult social services departments in local authorities in England as at September 2023. Topics covered include: the size of the workforce, employment overview, recruitment and retention, demographics, and pay information.
Download a copy of the report.
Official statistics publication
Our statistical practice is regulated by the Office for Statistics Regulation (OSR). The OSR sets the standards of trustworthiness, quality and value in the Code of Practice for Statistics that all producers of official statistics should adhere to.
Downloading the visualisation
- There are additional notes about the data when you hover over the ( i ) buttons in the visualisation.
- Download the data behind the visualisation in the ‘Download area’ below.
- Download a PDF version of each page of the visualisation by clicking on the arrow found at the bottom right of the visualisation box.
- For information about how workforce estimates are created or our rounding and suppression rules, please visit our webpage on methodology.
- If you require data that isn’t available in the visualisation or available downloads, please contact us.
We can be commissioned to produce a bespoke analysis of workforce information to answer any specific questions you have about the adult social care workforce. Take a look at our 'Commission our services' page for more information or contact us to talk about how we can help.
Scheduled revisions will be managed systematically, pre-announced and reflected in dissemination plans.
Unscheduled revisions are those that do not fit into the managed pattern of revisions, for example errors or unforeseen changes in methodology. For unscheduled revisions we will:
- Where results are affected by methodological changes, a description of the change will be given.
- Explain corrections to statistics at the earliest opportunity and in a way that provides the most benefit to stakeholders.
- Issue corrections in an orderly way, in a new version with the amended statistic.
- Summarise the key impact, nature and extent of corrections.
- Reserve the right not to publish some minor revisions if the resources required to issue them outweigh the benefits to stakeholders.
Revision made to ‘The workforce employed by adult services departments in England – reference tables’ on 20 February 2024.
Revisions were made to Table 2 (Number of adult social services filled posts by main service group, job role group and job role) only.
Contact details for this report
T: 0113 245 1716
You are welcome to contact us directly with any comments about how we meet the OSR standards. Alternatively, you can contact OSR by emailing email@example.com or via the OSR website.