Your induction, qualification and training

A female social care worker stands in front of a flip chart presenting to others

We want to make sure that as a registered manager you've got all the support you need, whether you're starting out or continuing your development.

On this page, you'll find all of the information you might need as a registered manager about the induction you should go through, training you should receive and qualifications you should have. We’ve also included information about on-going learning and development.

You'll also find details of funding to cover some of the cost of your training, together with information on how to make sure your training is being provided by quality providers. 

Our Manager Induction Standards set out clearly what new manager’s need to know and understand. They're a measure of good practice.

The standards are aimed at those who are new to management, or those who are new in a post but have previously managed other care services. They're also useful for aspiring or potential managers to help their development. 

The current qualification recommended for those wishing to become a registered manager is the Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and Young People’s Services.

You can choose one of the following pathways:

  • management of adult services
  • management of adult residential services

Use our Skill Selector to find out more about the qualification.

Please note that this qualification may also be undertaken as part of the Higher Apprenticeship in Care Leadership and Management.

The sector is changing and placing new demands on registered managers. On-going training means that managers are better placed to make personalised care a reality for people who need care and support.

You may feel that you would benefit from extra training, to make sure that you are giving the best care you possibly can.

Take a look at our leadership and management programmes that can help to meet your needs.

You can also use the Skill Selector to identify qualifications that might help you. 

Using our Workforce Development Fund, you can apply for a contribution towards the cost of training.

If you would like extra training but are not sure where to start looking, our endorsed provider directory have all demonstrated their commitment to improving adult social care. 

Loading Icon

Please wait... logging you in.