Manager Induction Standards
Our Manager Induction Standards (MIS) set out what a manager needs to know and understand to perform well in their role.
They are a versatile tool for:
- new managers - those new to management and those new inpost who have previously managed other care services
- existing managers - to use as a benchmark of their ownpractice and potential learning and development needs,especially if their role has changed over the years
- aspiring managers - to plan an appropriate developmentprogramme, increase their understanding of the expectations of a manager role and increase their potential of securing management positions in the future.
The MIS can be used in all care settings and are a measure of good practice.
The MIS include core standards for managers performing a variety of tasks.
We recommend that new managers meet all the knowledge requirements of these core standards within six months of taking up a management role.
- Governance and accountability
- Systems and processes to promote communication
- Partnership working and relationships
- Using person-centred practice to achieve positive outcomes
- Team leadership and management
- Managing resources
- Equality, diversity and inclusion
- Safeguarding and protection
There are also optional standards for managers who have these specialist aspects to their job or who have a particular interest in them:
- professional development
- change and growth
- managing business
- ensuring quality
We also have a blank certificate to evidence successful completion of the standards which is located at the back of the guide.
Blank editable copies of the templates in section E of the workbook can be downloaded below.
These templates are for the person completing the MIS:
These templates can be used by managers within their role and may help with certain aspects of the MIS:
The MIS have a fire safety element in the safeguarding and protection section.
Together with the London Fire Brigade, we have created a fire safety leaflet which highlights relevant standards in the Manager Induction Standards as well as supporting notes.