Learning disability and autism workforce
Data correct as at 2019/20
Next update due: August 2021
This page shows key findings and information about the adult social care workforce supporting people with learning disabilities and/or autism.
There were an estimated 660,000 jobs in the adult social care learning disabilities and/or autism workforce in 2019/20. 59,000 were in the local authority sector and 600,000 were in the independent sector.
There were around 325,000 workers recorded in the ASC-WDS who were employed in learning disability and/or autism services.
- Around 56% of workers were employed on a full-time basis and 44% part-time
- The turnover rate for this workforce was 22.7%
- On average, workers had 7.2 days of sickness in the past 12 months
- 81% of the workforce was female and 19% male
- The average hourly pay for care workers in this workforce was £13.79 in local authorities and £9.18 in the independent sector