Individual employer funding

If you receive a direct payment from your local authority, or your own money to employ your own care and support staff, you can apply for this funding to cover the cost of care related training for yourself and your personal assistant (PA).

CLOSING 28 February 2017 – DON’T MISS OUT – apply now.

Watch our video about the funding available.  


What can I claim for?

The fund can be used for training to develop you as an employer and to develop the skills of your PA.

The fund can cover the direct costs of training and qualifications, travel and the cost of hiring replacement support whilst your usual PA is attending training.  

Read about how other employers have used the fund, and see examples of training and qualifications we could fund.

Apply for funding 

To apply for funding, make sure you read the guidance document first.

Our guidance document will explain more about the funding and how to complete your application. This is also available as an easy read guidance.


Then complete the application form and send it to us. You can download this as a word document or PDF. You can also download an easy read application form.


You can ask for assistance to complete the application form, but only you as the employer can agree to the conditions of the grant.  

To claim funding during the 2016/17 funding year, applications must be sent to us with all necessary documents any time before 5pm on Tuesday 28 February 2017. Any training that you want to be funded must be started by 31 March 2017.

Training providers are not permitted to submit applications on behalf of individual employers.

What happens next?

We will consider all applications for funding on a case by case basis. If successful, we will usually tell you within 30 days and arrange payment directly into your bank account.

You might find our frequently asked questions about individual employer funding useful.

Important information: individual employer funding for personal health budget (PHB) holders

The initial funding available to PHB holders through the individual employer fund has now been disbursed in full. Following the success of this initial pilot, Skills for Care is working with NHS England to secure additional funding to ensure that we can continue to support PHB holders. PHB holders who wish to access funding are encouraging to email so that we can notify them when funding opens again or check the Skills for Care website regularly for up-dates.


More information and useful resources about employing your own care and support staff can be found on the information hub for individual employers and personal assistants.

If you have any questions please call 0113 2411275 or email

Loading Icon

Please wait... logging you in.