We’ve identified seven principles for social care workers to follow to ensure they support people who need care and support with dignity.
The principles are:
- value the uniqueness of every individual
- uphold the responsibility to shape care and support services around each individual
- value communicating with individuals in ways that are meaningful to them
- recognise and respect how an individual’s dignity may be affected when supported with their personal care
- recognise that an individual’s surroundings and environments are important to their sense of dignity
- value workplace cultures that actively promote the dignity of everybody
- recognise the need to challenge care that may reduce the dignity of the individual.
They’re brought together in the common core principles to support dignity toolkit, which explains the principles in practice, what knowledge and skills are needed to embed the principles, and gives good practice guidance and examples for you to follow.
The toolkit is available online or the guide is available to buy in paper format for £15 from our online bookshop.
News about our dignity training pack
Our Common core principles dignity training pack is currently being reviewed and refreshed. Sign up to our eNews here to get updates on when it will be available to buy from our bookshop.
Hear from the organisations below to see how they have implemented the common core principles for dignity in their organisation.
The case studies explain:
- how the providers got involved with the common core principles for dignity project
- how they have put the principles into practice
- how they have encouraged staff to stop and think dignity
- the difference that the principles have made supporting staff to uphold dignity in the workplace.
Learning and development should focus on the practical skills workers need to do their job but also keeping the values they need to put them in practice.
A key part of selecting the right learning package for your organisation is finding the right learning provider.
Find our endorsed providers
Our Endorsement Framework finds and badges learning providers who can show high quality learning and development to the social care sector.
You can search for our endorsed providers in our online directory.