Terms and conditions
Skills for Care hereby grants visitors to this website access to these pages conditional upon agreement to the following terms and conditions and the terms of our privacy statement.
You hereby accept the application of the laws of England to govern matters between us in relation to this website and you agree to indemnify us and not hold us liable for the result of any actions you may take based on the information contained herein.
Neither Skills for Care nor any of its employees, agents or sub-contractors make any warranty, expressed or implied, or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site or any website referred to nor that these web pages will be free from errors or that its availability will be uninterrupted. Skills for Care does not warrant that the information on this site is suitable for the purposes for which you may need it or use it. Skills for Care cannot be held responsible for the contents of any pages referred to by an external link. A reference on this site to any persons, products, websites or services does not constitute or imply their endorsement, recommendation or favouring by Skills for Care, its employees, agents or sub-contractors.
All copyright to Skills for Care publications and their contents is vested in Skills for Care unless stated otherwise. Although Skills for Care has used its reasonable endeavours in compiling these publications it does not guarantee nor shall it be responsible for reliance upon the contents of the publications and shall not be liable for any false, inaccurate or incomplete information. Any reliance placed upon the contents by the reader is at the reader's sole risk and Skills for Care shall not be liable for any consequences of such reliance.
The materials and information contained on this website (content) and all copyright and other intellectual property rights therein belong to Skills for Care or its content providers. You are hereby granted permission to access the site and print a copy of the page as a record of your visit. Material from this website may be freely reproduced with acknowledgment for education and training purposes, but may not be used for sale or profit without the written permission of Skills for Care.
Posting or transmitting to or from this website any unlawful, threatening, libellous, defamatory, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic, or profane material, or any other material that could give rise to any civil or criminal liability under the law, is prohibited.
Personal information about you which you submit to us will be governed by the terms of our privacy statement.
In relation to all other information you submit you hereby agree and warrant
- that such material or information is not confidential or proprietary and Skills for Care shall be free to use any such information in any manner for any purpose without charge or liability to you and you agree not to take any action against Skills for Care in relation to the use of such material or information.
- that you own or have unrestricted rights to the material or information submitted to Skills for Care and you shall indemnify and render Skills for Care harmless against any and all claims, suits proceedings, expenses, recoveries and damages including court costs and lawyers fees and expenses of any type whatsoever, brought against Skills for Care in connection with infringement of third party rights in respect of the material or information that you submitted.
- to take reasonable steps to ensure that the material or information is free from any known computer viruses, or other contaminates, including but not limited to any code or instructions that may be used to modify damage disable or compromise the security of this website, or Skills for Care computer systems or networks.
Skills for Care reserves the right to revise, withdraw or restrict access to the content of this website in whole or in part at any time without prior notice. Please check this page periodically for changes. Your continued use of the Skills for Care site following the posting of changes to these terms and conditions means you accept the changes.
We may use some automation such as tools that generate tweets from RSS feeds.
Our tweets will cover some or all of the following:
- alerts about new content on our websites (enews, publications, Accolades, annual conference. area news/events etc.)
- invitations to provide feedback on specific areas which we are consulting on
- re-tweets of information from other workforce development related sources, as appropriate.
If you follow @skillsforcare we will not automatically follow you back. This is to discourage the use of direct messaging, avoid resource wasting spam handling and so that you can easily identify other key Twitter users that we think are relevant and who we follow. However, being followed by Skills for Care does not imply endorsement of any kind.
@replies and Direct Messages
We welcome feedback and ideas from all our followers, and endeavour to join conversations where possible. However, we may not be able to reply individually to all the messages we receive via Twitter.
We read all @replies and Direct Messages and ensure that any emerging themes or helpful suggestions are passed to relevant people in the organisation.
The usual ways of contacting us for official correspondence are detailed in the contact us and keep informed sections.
All users found to be violating these terms will be blocked from our Twitter channel.
These terms and conditions of membership apply where an individual chooses to become a registered manager member of Skills for Care. Any individual purchasing registered manager membership of Skills for Care for a third party will be deemed to be acting with the consent of each member for whom they are making a purchase. The term ‘you’ refers to ‘the member’ and ‘us’ refers to ‘Skills for Care’.
Skills for Care reserves the right to change or update the terms and conditions from time to time without prior notice. Members are advised to refer to these terms and conditions prior to renewing their membership.
1. Membership application
Membership of Skills for Care is open to registered managers in adult social care working in England.
Membership is personal to an individual and cannot be ‘lent’, sold or transferred to another individual. All benefits, offers and services are only to be used by the named individual member.
Following purchase, Skills for Care will primarily communicate with the member; regardless of whether membership was bought on their behalf or otherwise.
Membership is fixed for a term of 12 months unless otherwise specifically stated and starts on the day your payment is received. You will receive an email to confirm receipt of payment.
Payment may be made by card using our online registration portal. Alternatively, payment can be made by cheque or you can be invoiced by Skills for Care.
When making payment you will be asked to confirm that either you are the card holder or that you have authority from the card holder to make the transaction.
3. Personal details
You are responsible for ensuring that all information provided by you to us is true and accurate at the point of applying.
In the event of a change of circumstances such as moving jobs, change of contact details or any other change that will affect your profile, you must update your profile through your account on the Skills for Care website, by informing the membership team by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by calling our information team on 0113 241 1275.
4. Data protection
When we process your personal data we are required to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 (“DPA”) until 25 May 2018, and from 25 May 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation 2016 (“GDPR”) (the DPA and GDPR are together referred to as the “Data Protection Legislation”). Your personal data includes all the information we hold that identifies you or is about you, for example, your name, email address, postal address, date of birth, location data and in some cases opinions that we document about you.
Skills for Care is the data controller of the personal data you provide. We have appointed Mark Hyslop as Data Protection Officer who will have day to day responsibility for ensuring we comply with the Data Protection Legislation and dealing with any requests we receive from individuals exercising their rights under the Data Protection Legislation.
The information which you give when completing your application form for membership will be used in accordance with the Data Protection Legislation and we will process it for the following purposes on the grounds of our legitimate interests in promoting and maintaining the benefits of the membership scheme:
- to enable us to create an electronic record of your application for membership
- to enable the application for membership to be processed
- to enable us to contact you with important information regarding your membership (including renewal notifications)
- to enable us to share membership benefits with you (including, though not limited to, your monthly newsletter, opportunities to test specific products, details of discounted products and services)
- to enable us to compile statistics, provided that no statistical information that identifies you as an individual would be published without your prior consent
You can opt out of all marketing communications from the membership team if you wish by contacting our information team on 0113 241 1275 or email email@example.com.
We may transfer your personal data to third parties for the sole purpose of helping us fulfil our obligations and exercise our rights. We will not transfer your personal data to any third party for marketing purposes. We will not transfer your personal data outside of the EU.
You benefit from a number of rights in respect of the personal data we hold about you. We have summarised your rights below, and more information is available from the Information Commissioner’s Office website (https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/). These rights apply for the period in which we process your data. Your rights are:
- access to your personal data (‘subject access request’)
- rectification of your personal data
- right of erasure
- right to restrict processing
- data portability
- right to object to us processing your personal data
- right to object to automated decision making (note that we do not carry out any automated decision making using your personal data)
If you have any concerns about the way your data is being used, please contact our information team on 0113 241 1275 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you think we have processed your personal data unlawfully or that we have not complied with GDPR, you can also report your concerns to the supervisory authority in your jurisdiction. The supervisory authority in the UK is the Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”). You can call the ICO on 0303 123 1113 or get in touch via other means, as set out on the ICO website - https://ico.org.uk/concerns/.
As a member of Skills for Care you will be able to access a range of benefits designed to support you. Member benefits are only accessible if your membership is active. When accessing benefits you may be asked to share your membership number. This can be found in the top left hand corner of your membership certificate.
Member benefits may change from time to time without prior notice.
Skills for Care reserve the right to limit, remove or suspend a member’s access to specific benefits. Skills for Care will provide an explanation in writing for this decision.
Where benefits include the opportunity to engage with other members, either through an on-line forum, event or other activity these are intended to facilitate networking, peer support, sharing best practice and the exchange of information. Members must not use these initiatives to either promote or sell goods or services. Any member doing so will be asked to desist and Skills for Care may withdraw individual access to specific benefits.
Membership is for the term of 12 months unless otherwise specifically stated. Membership will automatically expire after this time unless you have renewed your membership or you have set-up a subscription via recurring payment.
You will receive renewal reminders from Skills for Care, which include full details of how to renew. If your membership lapses, you will not be able to access the members area of the website or your member benefits until the membership is renewed.
If your membership lapses you will be contacted once by Skills for Care, three weeks after your membership expires, with an invitation to renew your membership. After this time you will receive no further correspondence from the membership team.
7. Subscription payments
Where a member has opted into paying for membership via an annual subscription:
- Skills for Care will take payment via a recurring payment once every 12 months; you can read more about recurring payments here.
- Skills for Care will not hold your card details; we use the PCI compliant payment gateway provided by Stripe – your card details will be held by Stripe.
- Skills for Care make use of the Smarter Saved Cards function provided by Stripe. Stripe work directly with card providers to up-date the details of replaced cards (e.g. if a card goes out of date or is lost and then replaced); you should not assume that when your card expires your subscription is immediately cancelled.
- Your first payment will be taken on the date that your membership starts (the date you purchase membership for the first time); all renewal payments will be taken on your expiry date.
- You will receive a notification that payment is due 28 days before we attempt to take payment; you will be notified of any change in the price of membership at the same time. If at this point you do not wish to continue your membership you have the option of cancelling your subscription.
- Your membership will automatically renew once we take payment – when payment is taken you shall be deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions which apply to the coming year.
- If we are unable to take payment you will be notified via email; we will attempt to take payment again at three, five and seven days after your membership expires. If we are still unable to take payment your membership will lapse.
- You can cancel your subscription at any point via your ‘Manage my subscription’ page on the Skills for Care portal, by contacting your bank or by contacting Skills for Care by telephone on 0113 245 1716.
Your membership services commence immediately your payment is received.
To cancel your membership you will need to notify us by email, stating a reason, which will be recorded for internal use only.
Should you wish to cancel your membership, you will not be refunded.
9. Breach of membership
Skills for Care reserves the right to rescind membership under certain conditions.
For example, if by poor conduct, either professionally or personally you bring the reputation of Skills for Care into disrepute, we reserve the right to temporarily suspend or permanently cancel your membership without refunding any part of your membership fee.
As stated previously (see 1. Membership application) neither category of membership can be ‘lent’ or transferred to any other organisation or individual, or benefits, offers or services used by any other than the named organisation or individual.
If this is proved to be the case, Skills for Care reserves the right to immediately cancel your membership without refunding any part of your membership fee.
10. Disclaimers and exclusion of liability
Although care is taken to ensure that the information on the Skills for Care website is accurate and up to date, we cannot accept any responsibility for mistakes or omissions, in particular any articles in our archives which may be out of date.
Although we will do our best to ensure the quality of the information we publish directly, we enter into no express or implied conditions, warranties, terms or representations regarding the quality, accuracy or completeness of the information.
The Skills for Care website may contain links to other websites not operated or controlled by us.
If you use these links, you will leave our website.
These links are provided for convenience only and do not constitute any endorsement by us of organisations or individuals promoted on the linked websites, their products or services, unless explicitly stated by Skills for Care.
12. Intellectual property rights
The intellectual property rights (including, without limitation, copyright and trade marks) in all material on the Skills for Care website (including, without limitation, text, images and plans) are owned by Skills for Care unless otherwise stated.
If you wish to use them as a member, please contact our information team on 0113 241 1275 or email email@example.com.
13. Use of the ‘Registered manager member of Skills for Care’ logo
- If a member doesn’t meet their obligations under these terms and conditions, or if membership ends, they must discontinue their use of the logo.
- The logo is designed for use by individual members on their communications (e.g. email signatures, letterheads, etc.). The logo signifies that an individual is a member of Skills for Care.
- The logo is not designed for use on commercial products, policies or procedures.
- The logo should not be displayed in any way that suggests an organisation holds membership of Skills for Care; membership belongs to the individual registered manager.
- Members should not display the logo in any way that suggests they are an employee or partner of Skills for Care or suggests that we are a part of their company.
- The logo may not be used in any way that expresses or might imply our sponsorship, endorsement, certification or approval.
14. Governing law
These terms and conditions shall be interpreted in accordance with English law and all disputes shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.