Information for employers
The Care Certificate:
- is the beginning of the career journey for those new to care
- is a foundation for health and adult social care integration
- ensures those new to the sector are supported
- is endorsed by the care Quality Commission (CQC)
- is a CQC expectation - all employers should now be offering it. This CQC inspector briefing highlights how they look for evidence in their inspections.
Although the Care Certificate is designed for new staff, it also offers opportunities for existing staff to refresh or improve their knowledge.
If you’re inducting a new manager, take a look at our Manager Induction Standards instead.
Delivery and assessment
Registered managers have the ultimate responsibility to sign off the Care Certificate, they must be confident that the new worker is competent in their job role. Employers can choose how the Care Certificate is delivered and assessed for example; in-house or by commissioning an external learning provider.
Employers must also be confident that the Care Certificate assessor/trainer is occupationally competent in the standard(s) they are assessing or delivering. To delegate assessment responsibilities you should follow this checklist:
- Do they have a thorough understanding and direct experience in what they are assessing?
- Are they confident and competent in the skills required to assess in the workplace? (Remember they do not need a formal assessor qualification)
A range of resources have been developed to help you implement and assess the Care Certificate. Follow the links below to find out more.
Skills for Care, Skills for Health and Health Education England have issued a full statement that we advise everyone reads before putting their staff through the Care Certificate.
If you are using formal qualification processes to deliver the Care Certificate we’ve mapped the certificate to the Qualification and Credit Framework (QCF) units within health and social care accredited qualifications.
It enables you to claim the Workforce Development Fund to identify a monetary value for each unit.
Units mapped to the Care Certificate
Find out more about our Workforce Development Fund