Workforce change and transformation
The complexities and ever-changing nature of adult social care means that commissioning and delivering personalised, preventative and good quality care and support services in any local area is an evolving landscape, requiring effective change and transformation.
To help organisations who are undergoing any form of organisational restructure or transformation, we've developed the 'Principles of workforce redesign'. This guide is currently being revised and we will publish an updated version shortly.
The seven principles set out the key things you need to take account of when changing the way your staff work.
They also recognise that the quality of any service delivered by a social care organisation is directly linked to the skills, knowledge, expertise, values and attitudes of the people who make up the workforce. Those people have a significant role to play in any transformation that takes place.
What are the seven principles?
- Take a whole systems view of organisational change
- Recognise the different ways people, organisations and partnerships respond to change
- Nurture champions, innovators and leaders; encourage and support organisational learning
- Engage people in the process; acknowledge value and utilise their experience
- The different ways that people learn should influence how change is introduced and the workforce supported
- Encourage and utilise the understanding of values, behaviours and practice to shape innovation
- Engage with your community to understand its cultures and strengths; work with the community to develop inclusive and creative workforce planning
Download the ‘Principles of workforce redesign’
Helping you implement the principles
To help you apply the principles to your organisation we’ve created ‘Workforce redesign: people, planning and performance’. It includes a range of tools to help you work through change constructively and transform services in a way that will meet the needs and expectations of people who use them. This guide is currently being revised and we will publish an updated version shortly.
Download 'Workforce redesign: people, planning and performance’
Workforce transformation outcomes measurement framework
You can use the ‘Workforce transformation outcomes measurement framework’ to define the outcomes, actions and measurement of any workforce change programme.
It will help you to measure the impact of workforce investment on the person-centred outcomes that services achieve. It provides a simple way of realistically linking the impact and benefits of workforce interventions to measurable, person centred outcomes for people supported, organisations and the local community.
It can be utilised to measure change in the short, medium and long term and for both simple and complex challenges.
Download the framework