We work in partnership with the Royal College of Occupational Therapists - the professional body for occupational therapists, collaborating on areas such as professional development. As well as providing resources and information focussed on the social care sector, the Royal College of Occupational Therapists also supports specialisms within the profession.
New: Learning and development framework for occupational therapists (new or returning to social care)
In partnership with the Royal College of Occupational Therapists, we've developed a new framework based on the four pillars of practice, whch are widely used to guide career, learning and development for Allied Health Professionals (AHPs), including occupational therapists.
Occupational therapists can use this framework to provide evidence of their learning and development for induction, employment, retention and appraisal processes.
View the framework below and some guidance on how to use it.
Occupational therapist degree apprenticeship
The Royal College of Occupational Therapists have announced that the apprenticeship standard and assessment plan has been approved and published by the Institute for Apprenticeships (IfA). You can read the standard and assessment plan here.
- The apprentice will complete a BSc (Hons) degree in occupational therapy or level 7 qualification approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and accredited by the Royal College of Occupational Therapists (RCOT) where the apprentice already holds a level 6 degree.
- A minimum of 20% of the apprentices paid working hours must be spent on off-the-job training.
- The training will typically take 48 months.
- Levy paying organisations will be able to use their apprenticeship levy to fund the occupational therapist degree apprenticeship training and end-point assessment cost.
- Non-levy organisations will pay 10% of the agreed cost, with the Government paying the rest (as long as the total cost is no more than the government-assigned cap).
- The apprentice will be assessed at the end of their training. The end-point tests will form the final point of their degree.