Dignity training forms part of the Care Certificate, the national standards which make new members of staff ready to practice.
The common core principles for dignity toolkit, last updated in 2014, was developed to support good practice and help you to deliver training around dignity to your workers. It may not reflect current policy but still provides valuable practice guidance.
The toolkit identifies seven principles for social care workers to follow to ensure they support people who need care and support with dignity.
The principles are:
- value the uniqueness of every individual
- uphold the responsibility to shape care and support services around each individual
- value communicating with individuals in ways that are meaningful to them
- recognise and respect how an individual’s dignity may be affected when supported with their personal care
- recognise that an individual’s surroundings and environments are important to their sense of dignity
- value workplace cultures that actively promote the dignity of everybody
- recognise the need to challenge care that may reduce the dignity of the individual.
Hear from the organisations below to see how they have implemented the common core principles for dignity in their organisation.
The case studies explain:
- how the providers got involved with the common core principles for dignity project
- how they have put the principles into practice
- how they have encouraged staff to stop and think dignity
- the difference that the principles have made supporting staff to uphold dignity in the workplace.
We can help you choose the right learning and the right provider for you.
Our ‘Guide to developing your staff’ can help you plan, select and evaluate the right learning for your staff and service.
We can also help you to find high quality learning providers. Skills for Care Endorsement finds and badges learning providers who we see as the best. Our endorsed providers deliver high quality learning and development to the social care sector.
Search for endorsed providers in our online directory.