Ambassadors are care workers who inspire and motivate people to understand more about working in social care. What makes them so special is that they’ve been there and have experience in the job they’re promoting.
As an employer, you can sign up and nominate your staff to become ambassadors. This can help you to recruit new staff to the sector and retain existing workers.
Helping you to retain your staff
Ambassadors visit schools, colleges and Jobcentres and run a range of careers activities, such as presentations and mentoring.
Talking honestly and enthusiastically about their job can really motivate people – over 80% of care workers felt more motivated in their work having become an I Care…Ambassador.
Hearing from an ambassador can also make a real difference to those looking for careers information. Joining I Care…Ambassadors can help you build links in your community and support your recruitment.
Who are I Care…Ambassadors?
I Care…Ambassadors are care workers who deliver activities and talk about what it’s like to work in care. They could visit schools, colleges and Jobcentres to run a range of careers activities including:
- interactive group activities
- running an information stand
- supporting a workplace visit or placement
- media activities.
As an employer, you can register and nominate your staff to become ambassadors.
Why should I join I Care…Ambassadors?
I Care…Ambassadors is a great way of finding the right people to meet the growing demand for care workers. You can hear from employers who have signed up about the benefits to their business here.
There are lots of benefits of joining I Care…Ambassadors.
- Attract more people – One in four people are more interested in a career in care having heard from an ambassador.
- Boost your business – When your staff share why they love their job, it will encourage others to choose or recommend your organisation.
- Motivate your staff – We know ambassadors feel more confident and motivated in their work as a result of being an ambassador.
- Develop your staff – Becoming an I Care…Ambassador is a fantastic learning and development opportunity.
- Cut your recruitment costs – I Care…Ambassadors can help you attract more informed people who have what it takes to work in care.
Access to resources and support
When you register, you get access to a Resources Bank of free online guidance and templates to help. You can also use the I Care…Ambassadors branding on your website and resources to create a professional image of your organisation.
Create reports and graphs to showcase your great work
You’ll have access to the I Care…About Impact tool which enables you to gather feedback on your activity. You can download reports and graphs to show the impact your ambassadors are having.
We've created the Bringing a career in care to life infographic (2019) that highlights how I Care...Ambassadors are inspiring more people to work in care.
What do I need to know before signing up?
There are some things you need to know and do before you register.
- Make sure you understand I Care…Ambassadors and how it works.
- Read the Principles and Pledge and Care quality expectations to check if you’re eligible to join I Care…Ambassadors and what your commitment will be.
- Make sure you have sufficient resources and capacity to sustain your
I Care…Ambassadors service. Think about if you have capacity to release staff to deliver ambassador activity, do your staff have access to the internet and email and can you cover the cost of activity?
- Consult with the people or organisations who will be involved in delivering care careers activity to shape how this will work.
- If you are considering joining as part of an integrated partnership (social and health employers), please read our information on the integrated promotion of care careers page.
How do I register?
As a social care employer, there are three ways you can register with
I Care…Ambassadors. This guidance will help you decide which option is best for you.
If you employ your own carers or PAs using a direct payment, PHB or with your own money, this guide can help you decide how to register.
1. Join an existing I Care…Ambassador partnership
This means you want to join a partnership with other care employers and have a nominated person coordinate the service.
This step-by-step guide will tell you everything you need to know about joining an existing I Care…Ambassador partnership.
Find your local partnership and contact them now.
2. Register as a new employer partnership
This means you want to set up a new partnership of care employers or an integrated partnership of social care and health employers.
This step-by-step guide will tell you everything you need to know about setting up and running a new I Care…Ambassador partnership.
When you’re ready, click here to register an I Care…Ambassadors account.
3. Register your organisation or your employer as an
I Care…Ambassador service
This means you’re a single social care organisation who wants to set up their own I Care…Ambassador service.
This step by step guide will tell you everything you need to know about setting up and running a new I Care…Ambassador service.
(If you're an individual employer who's setting up your own service, this step by step guide will help you to do this.)
When you’re ready, click here to register an I Care…Ambassadors account.
Find out more
If you still need help, email email@example.com or call 0113 2410959.
How do I get started once I've registered?
- When you’ve registered you’ll need to nominate staff to become
I Care…Ambassadors. We have a leaflet and poster to help you promote I Care…Ambassadors to your staff.
- You and your ambassadors will get a login to the I Care…Ambassadors Hub. From here you can access:
- Welcome Modules – the Welcome Modules provide information to help ambassadors in their new role, so they feel prepared and confident to deliver activity
- Resources Bank – the Resources Bank is a collection of free online resources such as tips on using social media, an activities toolkit and a presentation
- I Care…About Impact tool – you can set up surveys to evaluate the impact your ambassadors make, and download reports and graphs.
- Clients such as teachers and careers advisors will find you using the online Search Register and will contact the service coordinator. The coordinator will ask appropriate ambassadors to deliver different activities.
Useful links for existing I Care…Ambassadors
If you’re already registered with I Care…Ambassadors you can access the Hub here.
From the home page you can amend your account details, add staff to be new I Care…Ambassadors, access the Welcome Modules and Resources Bank, and set up a survey on the I Care…About Impact tool.
Integrated ambassadors - promoting both social care and health careers
Skills for Care is supporting I Care...Ambassador partnerships who want to test and adopt an integrated approach to promoting careers by expanding their I Care...Ambassador service to include health colleagues.
If you're a health employer, or a health worker, you can find more information here.
This builds on work undertaken in 2017 when Skills for Care supported three I Care...Ambassador services to pilot an integrated model of the initiative. They explored the feasibility and benefits of expanding I Care...Ambassadors to health staff. The partnerships worked with ambassadors from health to deliver careers activities.
If you're a group of social care and health employers and have agreed you would like to form an integrated I Care…Ambassador partnership service, please read above about information about the initiative and follow the steps to register a new partnership.
If you're an existing I Care…Ambassador partnership service and you would like to become integrated please see our information here.
Devon County Council took part in the 2017 pilot. In this video, Sally-Ann Turner, HR strategy manager, and colleagues talk about the benefits they experienced from delivering integrated activities. If you’re thinking of forming an integrated partnership, the video is a great example of how this can work in practice.