How to develop new managers and deputies
Learning programmes, standards and qualifications
Following earlier development opportunities, you can use this checklist to identify if your emerging talent is now ready to progress onto more formal development programmes.
Where someone has demonstrated ambition, drive and potential, it’s now time to build on their experience and complement this by undertaking learning programmes, induction standards and qualifications.
We recommend that you incorporate the following into your development programme; Lead to succeed, the Manager Induction Standards (MIS) and the Level 4 Certificate in the Principles of Leadership and Management in Adult Care.
These three steps can usually be undertaken within a 12-month timeframe. Click on each development area to learn more.
- When to do it: first three months
- What will you learn: Understand leadership, culture, change and the inspection process
- Why is it important?: Improve knowledge and confidence
- When to do it: 3 to 9 months
- What will you learn: The breadth and the requirements of the role
- Why is it important?: Understand what managers need to know and do.
- When to do it: 3 to 12 months
- What will you learn: The breadth of knowledge needed to be a care manager
- Why is it important?: Understand knowledge requirements of the care manager role.
*Eligible for Workforce Development Fund
**Learning supported by Becoming a manager workbook and associated e-learning